The main area of interest for the online Three-year Degree Course in Civil Engineering is construction (civil and industrial buildings, construction projects such as bridges, dams, tunnels, etc.) and infrastructures (roads and transportation, supply, distribution and disposal of water systems, etc.). In this field, the Civil Engineer deals with the design and construction of works and looks after of their operation, maintenance, detection and control. In recent years, in the common matrix of the Civil Engineering sector, has been increasingly developing the demand for specialized professional figures such as, for example, the environmental engineer for the environment and the territory or the construction engineer, who have now engaged in dedicated training offers.
The study course in Civil Engineering finds its applicability in the continuous request of professional figures with a solid preparation and a flexibility and refresher ability, essential to face the diverse problems and the constant development of technologies related to the world of buildings and civil infrastructures.
The main educational objectives of the Degree in Civil Engineering are:
- to ensure the student to achieve an adequate command of general and basic scientific methods and contents, with particular reference to the ability to use this knowledge to interpret and describe problems in the field of Civil Engineering;
- to ensure ensure the achievement of specific professional knowledge required for graduates to enter the job market.
The professional profile is that of a Civil Engineer who is able to operate in one of the areas of traditional competence (architectural design, design of structures and infrastructures, design and management of hydraulic works and sanitary engineering).
The educational offer, while being fully in line with the general objectives of the Civil Engineering Degrees (L7), is more specifically aimed at training emerging professionals in the Civil Engineering field. For this purpose, the didactic programme aims to ensure a knowledge of updated methods, techniques and tools, and enables the:
- design and implementation of medium-small size structures;
- design and management of medium-small sized Hydraulic Engineering structures;
- design and management of Environmental Health Engineering plants;
- intervention in the design and construction of transport infrastructures;
- the basic knowledge for the development of geometric evaluations.
The educational programme of the graduand in Civil Engineering is divided into three levels:
- basic general training in mathematics, physics, statistics and engineering;
- training in the disciplines of structural engineering, with particular reference to Science and Construction Techniques;
- training, aimed at creating professional profiles through educational activities that mainly involve the sectors of appraisal and geology.
The aim of this specialisation is to train a graduand by providing a solid basic engineering background acquired in the first year of the course - which is equivalent to that of the existing course - and adding a high level of qualification on environmental issues through the specific teachings of the following two years. In particular, the graduate in "Civil Engineering - Environmental specialisation" would be able:
- to understand the interactions between anthropic and environmental elements, with particular reference to the issues of reproducibility of natural resources, energy consumption, air pollution, water and soil, waste disposal.
- to master the principles and methods of urban and environmental regeneration as guidelines for interventions on cities and the territory.
- to use technical tools in order to prevent or reduce the degenerative processes of ecosystems and to guide the modification actions of human settlements and natural environments in terms of sustainability.
To this end, the second and third year of the course, alongside the traditional disciplines, include also courses related to soil protection, environmental appraisal, hydrology, transport systems and geomorphological risks. Furthermore, the student is able to choose between various electives, such as urban planning, environmental assessment procedures and urban and environmental law, to develop his/her own training path.
The career opportunities are linked to those work areas whereby products and systems are planned and developed within the Civil field:
- technical offices of public entities (Municipalities, Provinces, Regions);
- construction companies;
- professional firms and engineering companies;
- material testing laboratories.
Furthermore, for students interested to pursue their studies further, the objective is to successfully enrol in master's degree programmes in Civil Engineering. In addition to access to subsequent study levels, this study course also allows participation in the state exam for qualification as engineer.
The course provides training for the profession of:
- Civil construction technicians and similar professions
- Technicians of water networks and other fluids
The specific competencies of the graduate in "Civil Engineering â€“ Environmental Specialisation" are increasingly being requested by government and territory management entities, professional and sectorial companies, as well as public and private administrations, responsible for environmental sector competencies.
Knowledge and skills required for enrolment
To be admitted to the Degree Course students must hold a secondary school diploma or other qualification awarded abroad which is officially recognized. The recognition of qualifications awarded abroad for the sole purpose of admission to study courses is approved by the University, in compliance with current international agreements. It is also required a basic knowledge corresponding to the average level acquired through school education at upper secondary education level is also required. The assessment of the basic knowledge will take place according to the methods indicated in the Academic Regulations of the course.